This role exists to manage and provide operational leadership to the Special Vehicles project management, administrative, and production teams. The role will continue to develop and expand as this new business develops and expands.
Reporting to - Managing Director
Closing date for applications: 14/09/2020
Roles and responsibilities
- Manage the team of Project Managers for Special Vehicles
- Manage the Technician Supervisors and support them in the management of their technician teams
- Manage the Administrative functions of Special Vehicles
- Manage the Material Planning and Control functions of Special Vehicles
- Work with the Managing Director to ensure the smooth running of the company
- Work with the Engineering Director to ensure the relevant resource is available to support the programmes in design and build
- Interface with Group support functions on behalf of Special Vehicles – HR, Finance, Purchasing, etc.
- Provide commercial focus to the group, maximising EBITDA, minimising inventory and delivering programmes on budget and to time
- Work with the customers to ensure timely and accurate provision of data to support the engineering and production activities
- Work with the supplier base to jointly develop product and processes, with a focus on quality and delivery
- Manage a range of programme types to include vehicle up-engineering and enhancement; armouring; system integration; system packaging and installation; vehicle and system test and validation
- Ensure standardisation of processes across Millbrook Special Vehicles and compliance with the ISO accreditations held
- Work with the Management Team in Special Vehicles to manage work flow and human resource utilisation, where appropriate
- Continually seek ways to improve the business and align the team to this activity
- Ensure all production and Aftersales documentation is readily available
- Work with the MD to compile and monitor plans, budgets and resource targets.
- Plan resources according to departmental priorities
- Approve operational spend within the company, up to approved limits
- Monitor personnel performance and identify training needs in conjunction with the Technician Supervisors, Engineering Director and Chief Engineer
- Ensure compliance with Health and Safety Policies with respect to working practices including Risk Assessment
- Act in accordance with the behaviours for Millbrook group staff at all times
- Educated to degree level or equivalent.
- Project management or business management qualification
- Management of bespoke or small series vehicle conversion programmes and/or workshop environment, either civilian or military.
- Background in automotive engineering or a similar working environment.
- Working with government contracts.
- Developing business plans and setting individual objectives.
- Good organisational and communication skills with a capacity to present to customers, senior management and the Board.
- Ability to lead and plan engineering projects, identify critical paths and key issues with the Project Managers.
- Ability to instruct project managers, engineers and technicians.
- Ability to oversee multiple programmes simultaneously.
- A well organised, methodical individual
- A Customer focused approach
- Team oriented
- An agent for change, embracing the opportunities this delivers
- A driver for efficiency gains throughout the function
- Flexibility to travel as and when required
- Full UK driving licence
- Must have SC Clearance